Wednesday, July 31, 2013

MAC Brush Cleanser

$14     7.9 oz/ 235 ml
Ingredients: water, alcohol denat., sodium trideceth sulfate, disodium lauroamphodiacetate, hydrolyzed wheat protein, hexylene glycol, cetrimonium chloride, triclosan, isopropyl alcohol, blue 1, red 3
Availability: Macy's, MAC, Nordstrom

It's really important to clean your brushes between makeup applications because the product left on the brushes can feed bacteria and you don't want to put them on your face because doing so could cause breakouts, and even worse, infections.

I don't deep clean my brushes every time because it would just take too much time and trouble. So I rely on brush cleansers. They clean off the products on the surface of the brushes and disinfect them.

I used to use Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner. It works very well and gets the brushes very clean. It's a little bit more expensive than MAC Brush Cleanser in terms of dollars per fluid ounce. I know MAC Brush Cleanser is used by a lot of makeup artists so I decided to try it.

It smells like alcohol but you won't smell it when you apply makeup with a freshly cleaned brush. It cleans well. It takes off powder products easily once. But cream products or anything wet takes two times of cleaning to get the brush clean.

dirty brush with liquid foundation residues
cleaned once - still some product left
cleaned twice - still a tiny bit of pigments left, but overall very clean

It doesn't come with an atomizer so I pour it into a spray bottle so this way I don't use too much product every time.

Overall, it's an okay brush cleanser. Even though it takes twice of cleaning to get some products off, it's not too much trouble and it gets the job done. For makeup artists it's worth it because it's a good value and it's eligible for back-to-MAC. I still like the Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner better because it takes everything off at once.

Brush cleaners isn't something I'm so picky about. As long as it gets the job done without too much trouble and at a reasonable price, I'll go for it. In short, MAC Brush Cleanser is not the best, but decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment