Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Melvita Huile d'Argan (Argan Oil)

$24-35     1.69 oz/ 50 ml
Ingredients: 100%  organic argan oil
Availability: Beauty.com, Melvita

I got this argan oil because I was running out Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil very quickly (reviewed in this POST) and it is very pricey. I got mine at Beauty.com for $24 and I would recommend purchasing it there instead of Melvita website because for some reason, the exact same one in the same quantity costs $35 on their official website. But before you check out the website, here's some review that may help you decide whether or not you should buy it.

I've been using Josie Maran and Melvita argan oils for a few months and I wanted to have a full experience before I review them and I think it's about time! I'm going to compare Melvita Argain Oil to the Josie Maran Argan Oil because they, in theory, should be the same thing and does the same job because they're both 100% organic cold-pressed argan oils.

In terms of consistency, Melvita is thinner than Josie Maran, which makes it more runny. However, interestingly the thinner consistency doesn't necessarily means it's absorbed better. Melvita tends to sit on top of the skin and makes my face really oily and slippery, whereas Josie Maran feels less slippery and more comfortable on the skin.

In terms of the anti-inflammatory property, Melvita doesn't do much at calming any breakouts. With Josie Maran, my acne's redness reduces the next morning.

So far, it seems like Josie Maran is better than Melvita. It's true, but Melvita isn't a totally crappy product, either. I actually prefer Melvita argan oil over other rich moisturizers made of synthetic chemical compounds. When it comes to skincare, I personally think that the simpler the better. There's only one ingredient so my skin only needs to work with one ingredient and there's no other inactive ingredients that doesn't do any good.

If prices weren't an issue, I would stick with Josie Maran. But in reality it is for me, and probably for many people out there. I've been using Melvita for the nights that my skin doesn't have many problems, and Josie Maran when my skin is irritated and needs something to calm it down.

The only obvious con of Melvita argan oil is its packaging. The pump makes it really messy and wastes a lot of product because it pumps up the product and the oil would leak inside the pump, so whenever you tilt it for move it in any way, the oil drips down the bottle. Instead of using it out of the original packaging, I just put the oil in a dropper bottle, which is absolutely mess-free.

Overall, as a face product, Melvita Argan Oil didn't amaze me, but it wasn't disappointing, either. I thought this product was mediocre. However, I've found that it's a good hand moisturizer. When my hands get super dry and none of my hand creams work, I use a few drops of this oil. It definitely feels richer than hand creams but since argan oil is a dry oil, it doesn't feel overly greasy. I would not repurchase it as a face product but as a body product, it is a definite yes.

I would recommend this product to people who are looking for a nice night-time moisturizer at a good value, or people who need rich moisture on their body. This bottle will probably last you at least a year as a face product. I would NOT recommend it to people with oily skin. It would feel too uncomfortable on oily skin types.

No comments:

Post a Comment